Short Circuit 2 is underrated

General chat about Johnny Five and Short Circuit.
ChrisEsperProduction

Short Circuit 2 is underrated

Postby ChrisEsperProduction » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Most people outside of this board, know about Short Circuit. However, if you ask them, if they ever seen the sequel, they'll say, "There was a sequel?" or "Yeah, but I don't remember it." or even "Yeah, but I didn't like it as much as the first one." If you ask me, Short Circuit 2 is underrated.

Actually, quite a few people on IMDB, including myself feel that Short Circuit 2 is better than the first one. In my opinion, it's better for several reasons.

1. Character depth: Both the characters of Johnny 5 and Ben are explored more deeply. We see Johnny 5 feeling alone, not like others, and dismissed from others. The director makes Johnny 5 more of a combination of Frankenstein, Pinocchio and Quasimodo. It gives him something to fight against. Ben is also explored more in this one. In the first one, he was the comic relief. Here, we understand him and comprend what he's feeling. It's parrell to what Johnny 5 is feeling.

2. Supporting cast: Besides Johnny 5 and Ben, the film has a great supporting cast of characters, who have great character development. Fred for example, goes from a street hustler to a more caring guy. Oscar stays the same throughout the story, but the way, Jack Weston potrays him is great. He has him be a serious criminal, the same goes for his two goons. They're not the typical criminals from the 80's, where they would be more comedic than serious. They didn't bump into things as physical comedy or say things like, "Oh, sorry boss."

3. Themes: this film touches on many themes, such as loniness, betrayal and being different from others. These themes are presented quite well in the film. We see what each character is feeling and doing.

It's for these reasons why I feel this one is better than the first one. Although, I feel the first one has more of that sense of fun 80's movie, because of the story and special effects. The second one has it too, but not so much. Maybe, because the first one was a "high tech comedy." This one wasn't as "sci-fiish," it tried to be more of it's own movie.

Sparky

Re: Short Circuit 2 is underrated

Postby Sparky » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Actually so far pretty much anyone I've discussed SC with has said, even before I have, that they preferred the sequel. It may be due to the sequel getting more airtime in the past decade though - I know I have not seen the first one as often as I have seen the second. The scenes in the sequel tend to stick with people more than the scenes in the first one, and airtime may be the reason. Or maybe people simply enjoy the sequel more. I don't know.

ChrisEsperProduction

Postby ChrisEsperProduction » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Sparky wrote:Actually so far pretty much anyone I've discussed SC with has said, even before I have, that they preferred the sequel. It may be due to the sequel getting more airtime in the past decade though - I know I have not seen the first one as often as I have seen the second. The scenes in the sequel tend to stick with people more than the scenes in the first one, and airtime may be the reason. Or maybe people simply enjoy the sequel more. I don't know.

strange, I never came accross that. Although, I do remeber the 2nd film being a staple on TV for years. The past couple of years neither film has played. However, I think it's making a comeback because for the next month or two, SC2 will be airing on Starz.

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:00 pm

i think the chracter depth examined in ben really made him out to be corny.....as far as sci fi goes. it's a movie about a ROBOT that is beaten "half to death" and rescued in a radio shack ...how do you get more sci fi than that?! :D

ChrisEsperProduction

Postby ChrisEsperProduction » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Paul wrote:i think the chracter depth examined in ben really made him out to be corny.....as far as sci fi goes. it's a movie about a ROBOT that is beaten "half to death" and rescued in a radio shack ...how do you get more sci fi than that?! :D

well, I meant sci-fi as in the first one had a big laboratry with computers and different gadgets, while the second one was just J5.

also, would mind explaining how the character depth of Ben made him corny? I kind of see what you mean, but I was wondering if you could explain a little more.

GinnieFive

Postby GinnieFive » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:35 am

I hate to say it. Short Circuit 2 plays like a long cheesy 80s TV episode. If you look at Ken Johnson's filmography, it makes sense. The music sounds leftover from The A-Team and the plot is something from a 60s Disney flick (I stole that line from a movie review book) OK, it was a family movie, so cheesiness and predictablility are no big deal to me, but as film, it's not too great either. There is some nice acting and Michael McKean is just plain funny. Some of the scenes between Ben and Five/Fred and Five are touching and it is hard to believe that the robot is not alive. I think the greatest achievement of it is the SPFX technology. The telemetry suit and the general remote nature of the robots was groundbreaking. The movie has one amazing shot. The scene on the pier where Ben and Johnny are talking as they walk. The scene is about 3 minutes long it's moving characters and moving camera and it's ALL ONE SHOT! That's hard to do with two human actors and that many lines. Think of doing this with a robot as one of the players!

Don't get me wrong. I like SC2, but I don't think it is underrated.

Ginnie

Nessa

Postby Nessa » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:01 am

GinnieFive wrote:The scene on the pier where Ben and Johnny are talking as they walk. The scene is about 3 minutes long it's moving characters and moving camera and it's ALL ONE SHOT!

That is a great shot :)

ChrisEsperProduction

Postby ChrisEsperProduction » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:35 pm

GinnieFive wrote:I hate to say it. Short Circuit 2 plays like a long cheesy 80s TV episode. If you look at Ken Johnson's filmography, it makes sense. The music sounds leftover from The A-Team and the plot is something from a 60s Disney flick (I stole that line from a movie review book) OK, it was a family movie, so cheesiness and predictablility are no big deal to me, but as film, it's not too great either. There is some nice acting and Michael McKean is just plain funny. Some of the scenes between Ben and Five/Fred and Five are touching and it is hard to believe that the robot is not alive. I think the greatest achievement of it is the SPFX technology. The telemetry suit and the general remote nature of the robots was groundbreaking. The movie has one amazing shot. The scene on the pier where Ben and Johnny are talking as they walk. The scene is about 3 minutes long it's moving characters and moving camera and it's ALL ONE SHOT! That's hard to do with two human actors and that many lines. Think of doing this with a robot as one of the players!

Don't get me wrong. I like SC2, but I don't think it is underrated.

Ginnie

I like that shot too. I also like the shot after J5 gets beat up and he picks up his arm. then he looks up and the music cues up and the wind blows, that's shot that really said alot to me.

the effects are groundbraking, indeed. although, for some reason I was more impressed with the effects of the first film, but that's just me.

also, it's true about the film seeming like an old Disney flick. However, when you think about it, E.T. was like that too. Even Speilberg admitted this, but the difference is that he made it his own. In the case of SC2, it was cheesy and predictable, but so was the first one. The problem was that Kenneth Johnson didn't really make it his own, but what he did do was give more depth and emotion to the characters then the first one, which is what made it better, IMO. It was a typcial family film, but it had a little bit more to it, I thought.

Don't get me wrong either, I love both movies, but I just like SC2 a little bit better.

Terry Andrews Jr.

Postby Terry Andrews Jr. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Nessa wrote:
GinnieFive wrote:The scene on the pier where Ben and Johnny are talking as they walk. The scene is about 3 minutes long it's moving characters and moving camera and it's ALL ONE SHOT!

That is a great shot :)

I also agree, That scene is a great shot, But just how great? A bit of insider info here.

When I worked on J5 and also met Eric Allard in 2004, He told me that during filming of that exact scene the crew was so into "the performance" that the robot's operators accidentally ran over Fisher Stevens foot with J5. Eric said that Fisher was not injured but that they did have to reshoot the scene making sure that they payed a bit more attention to Fishers safety. That was the only real safety related incident they ever really had.

One more bit of insider information for you.

Johnny Five's original design as specified by the director was that J5 actually be able to reach a speed of 30Mph as outlined in the script and is also mentioned in the movie. Eric designed J5 as instructed but after the director and "the powers that be" seen J5 actually going that fast, Common sense prevailed and J5's top speed was mechanically limited to a much safer 12MPH. This turned out to be the correct action as one time during filming J5 decided to run away at full speed due to a malfunction caused by to much moisture in the air. Eric had to chase after him and hit the emergency kill power switch. :ugeek:

Thanks,
Terry.
Need MORE Input.....

http://www.input-inc.com

Nessa

Postby Nessa » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:29 am

Terry Andrews Jr. wrote: during filming J5 decided to run away at full speed due to a malfunction caused by to much moisture in the air.

I want to see video of this!

Return to “Johnny Five is alive!”