What Happens Next

Johnny Five and Wall-E, distant cousins?
Nessa

What Happens Next

Postby Nessa » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:29 am

Ah, the first post in the first topic of a new section of the forum! Almost as tasty as that first sip of beer after a VERY long and hard week of work.

So, Wall-E tells us the story about the titular robot falling in love and possibly saving the planet, but I think there are many more stories to tell in this possible future universe. There are so many options to explore and theories to turn into fanfic but I'm too old to be writing fanfic.

I wonder, what happened to the rest of humanity? By the year 2105 (the year stated on the Wall-E wiki page regarding human consumerism covering the planet in garbage), BBC News reports the population as having plateaued at 8.4 billion people. Assuming the whole world has reached a fantastic economical state and has the funding and resources to send 8.4 billion inhabitants into outer space in ocean-liner type starships, there is nobody left on the planet after BnL has deployed the Wall-E units. 700 or so years into the future, plant life finally returns to Earth and is brought to BnL's flagship, the Axiom. With its return to Earth, the humans living aboard begin life anew by cultivating the land and cleaning up after their ancestors.

But the Axiom is one ship. It couldn't possibly hold 8.4 billion lives to begin with and definitely doesn't house that many in the future. Population control would come into effect after they realize it will become a generational ship because the proposed 5 year clean-up finished 20 years ago. A single ship can only hold and provide for so many people.

So, what of the rest of humanity? Looking at the size of the Axiom, I would guess it could hold about a million people. And with that in mind, the entire BnL fleet is probably 10,000 strong. I think it's very possible for some of those 10,000 ships to have eventually found an M-class planet (Star Trek, anyone?) and colonized it. Perhaps some of the ships encountered spatial anomalies and perished in radioactive nebulae or met with plague aboard the ship. Maybe a ship ran out of resources too quickly and waged war against fellow BnL ships in order to procure supplies. I don't think that every single ship would return to Earth once message got out that it is finally inhabitable again.

Okay, floor's open, who else has ideas on what happens next?

Paul

Re: What Happens Next

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:09 pm

the thing they don't mention is that the govt has developed a robot that feeds on decomposing biomass to generate its fuel.....

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... eled-robot

the elite escaped in the spaceships, the commoners moved underground or died off and were eaten by the wall-e's!

the problem with the wall-e scenario is that the environment would have fixed itself mostly over the supposed 700 years......paper , wood and even steel disappears pretty rapidly once oxidation sets in....even modern styrofoam type materials decompose rather quickly once left in the sun and rain for a while.

population control huh ness? ...I could show you some movies that would make your head spin.

Nessa

Postby Nessa » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:42 am

... Soylent Green? XD

Josee Millette

Postby Josee Millette » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:55 am

Really interesting... Wall-E is one of those movies that generate a lot of questions. That's one of the reasons I liked it so much. I remember reading somewhere that the BnL fleet was rather large. But, one thing stuck in my mind... the advertisement for the Axiom. It said that you can sit all day and it has all of the commodities and games to accomodate your 5 year stay in space. It is made as if you had to pay (quite a large amount I would guess) to go on the Axiom's 5-year journey. I would think a lot of people would not have enough money to afford this kind of trip. Where would they go? Were they just left on Earth to die? And why we never hear anything about the other ships?

I've read somewhere else that the movie was not made to answer all of those questions. But, still, we can't help to wonder.

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:30 am

hehehe..."a three hour tour!"

prkprkprk

Postby prkprkprk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 pm

I thought that in the movie, Wall-E only visited one of possibly many ships.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 pm

I agree with you,too.

Return to “Wall-E”